we dont get along. some days are windier then others for sure, but overall highway runs are a bit painful. not getting to manhattan and back, thats easy, but going to the jersey shore gets difficult.
it seems the wind shield on this bike is kind of small and low….so i decided to try out a new product by Touratech. The adjustable windshield bracket. here’s how i installed it…
the instructions arent great, and i made a few fun mistakes on the way. here’s a few photos and tips to install yours. the photos should be helpful when researching it as well. i had a few questions about the product but couldnt find any close up photos before i purchased. my main question was, would this be adjustable on the fly or would it require tools and time. the answer, is YES. you can quickly adjust the angle, so if you are in the city you can leave it low, and on highway you can adjust it out and up.
i havent tried out riding with it yet, as i just installed it this morning. ill make other follow up posts about that when i have more experience with it.
did i mention the instructions are terrible?
removing the windshield was easy, i just needed an allen wrench. i actually needed a few different sizes through out this, so just have a set with you when you get started. i also had paper towels and all purpose cleaner to clean any areas that would be easy while taking things apart.
so.. removing the windshield, 4 screens via allen wrench.
i then attached the main bracket to the bike where the windshield used to be with touratechs supplied screws.
after that i installed the two smaller adjustable brackets the side of the main bracket. that was a bit confusing as i wasnt sure which side of them should be up. see photo for correct orientation. it does matter. pointy side facing up.
see how i attached the female screws (not sure what to call them) in to the side bracket. this matters as well.
then after that i attached the windshield to the brackets using the ORIGINAL screws that came with the bike, i did not use the touratech supplied screws for this part..
the wind shield is now adjustable, i left it at its highest and most outward position for now, ill adjust it later as needed.
so while realizing i put the side mounts on backwards at one point, i went to turn them around and dropped a black adjuster screw in to the body of the bike, right behind the steering column area. ive dropped something in there before and was able to spot it and pull it out, but this time i just couldnt find it. i jiggled the bike, used flash lights .. nothing.
so… i decided to take my bike apart.
first the seat,
then the top black plastic on the fake tank, note my ipad mini being used as a motorcycle manual laying where the seat used to be.
then the left side of the fake tank,
and i finally found it in a little crevice that was only visible when the wheel was turned all the way to the right. sure was fun looking for it! took me about an hour but it was a great experience. i took the opportunity to learn more about the bike and to clean everything i could while open.
learn from my mistakes!